Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Does anyone take Lipitor for cholesterol? Side effects?

Question:

I recently began taking Lipitor for high cholesterol and my blood pressure has gotten much higher. It has always been 120/80...always. The last 3 times I was at the doctor's (during the last 6 weeks) it was in the nieghborhood of 140/100 and the doc recommended that I buy a home blood pressure kit. I've been taking it daily and it's still high - 140-150/ 90-110. The doctor doesn't want to see me until after the new year. Could it be the Lipitor? Or could it be stress?

Answer:

my father takes lipitor and i help manage his meds. there is nothing noted that says it causes high blood pressure on the paper that comes with his medicine. it says it can cause muscle pain and weakness, and nausea/diarrhea.



stress can cause your blood pressure to go up, i do know that. we all have stress, but it is important to be able to handle it. some people use yoga, prayer, meditation, or things like that. i use physical labor - cleaning out closets, running, weeding the garden, etc. i also heard that holding a purring cat lowers your blood pressuer.



call the doctor's office and ask to speak to a nurse, then tell her/him what your blood pressure has been. they may want to see you sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment