Friday, December 11, 2009

Is Co-Enzyme Q10 just a waste of money?

Question:

I've read all the stuff about Q10 and have been taking it for years because I suffered from high Cholesterol and was put on Lipitor to lower it, that worked and my Cholesterol is fine now, I've read and was told by health stores that one needs Q10 to replace what the body doesn't replenish anymore as you get older and also because of Cholesterol lowering drugs, its meant to be good for your heart and brain etc, anyway this is what i was told. Just recently I had a slight Heart flutter and got checked out by one of the best Cardiologists in the world, he asked me what meds I take so I told him and then mentioned I take Q10, he asked "why"? so I told him, he then said "don't bother" it does nothing" "it;s all marketing" and only makes me poor and the health shops rich, I feel really ripped off now, Ive been spending $50 a month for stuff that doesn't do anything? as I have said he is a Professor and leading World renown Cardiologist that has pioneered heart saving procedures and knows what he is talking about, so who do I believe? Him or a health shop / pill manufacturers?

Answer:

$50 a month? You surely are buying some expensive CoQ10!



According to the Mayo Clinic:



"Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is produced by the human body and is necessary for the basic functioning of cells. CoQ10 levels are reported to decrease with age and to be low in patients with some chronic diseases such as heart conditions, muscular dystrophies, Parkinson's disease, cancer, diabetes, and HIV/AIDS. Some prescription drugs may also lower CoQ10 levels."



Now, though the mainstream line is that it remains unproven whether supplementing with CoQ10 helps people with low CoQ10 levels, given the vital role it plays I would think that common sense alone would tell you it would not be a bad idea to take supplemental CoQ10 when your levels were low due to age or drugs.



I take it regularly, turn 58 in 6 days and have not been to a doctor in decades. Chances are that I take some things I don't need, but something is working and I surely have not been harmed.



BTW, chances are that Hawthorne Berry Syrup will help you with the irregular heart flutter. I take that too. : )



All the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment